Saturday, September 20, 2008

I'm no baker...

...but I do love my chocolate baked goods!

I decided to make cookies.

I had two conditions. It must be easy and it must be chocolate-y.

So I found this recipe for Chocolate Crinkles and decided to give it a go.

And it was me, I made a few changes. I decreased the sugar by 1/4 cup and upped the cocoa by 2 tablespoons. Oh and no powdered sugar. Instead I put a few flakes of salt on top.

First dozen I made were too dry. It was my fault, I baked for 14 minutes instead of the 10 to 12 as they looked undercooked.

The second dozen I made I baked for only 10 minutes and they were undercooked. They spread a bit and was too moist inside. The third dozen was at 12 minutes on the nose.... still too dry.

Hmmm, next half dozen (all the dough I have left) will be at 11 minutes and hopefully I'll have that nice balance of crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside.

Taste-wise, they were better than expected. Nice hit of salt, not too sweet and a bit brownie like, especially the undercooked ones.

Not the best cookies in the world but they'll do for now. Oh and it was definitely easy and very chocolate-y.

Finally, a baking project that didn't go terribly wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm... Let's do a professional analysis of these cookies - or rather, your version! they were dry because you decreased the sugar (which helps to keep things moist) and increased the cocoa powder - which dries things out! So that's two strikes. I looked at the recipe and it does seem like a lot of sugar but who knows, it might be balanced by the bitterness of the cocoa powder. Shall I send you a super-easy brownie recipe? Next time you come back to HK, set aside some time for baking lessons with me!
see you soon...

Sui Mai said...

Hahaha!!

Drew said the same thing... I can't seem to follow any recipe exactly! Even though I know what I'm doing will alter the chemical make up, I can't help it!

They were still dry.

Hmm, ok, I'm determined to make the spag bol recipe you sent me... let me try that first!