Tuesday, December 18, 2007

All Sorts of Coconut

As I shamefully admitted previously, I have succumbed to the lure of licorice. And although my former boss stopped short of pointing and saying "Ha Ha!" like Nelson from the Simpsons, I did figuratively get deservedly mocked in an email.


So, what do the famous Bassetts Allsorts taste like?


Well, in one word, coconut.


Nope, I have no idea why either.


Apparently, the story was that Allsorts came about when a salesman clumsily spilled his tray of samples and so all the flavors got mixed in a somewhat serendipitous accident. Formal story can be found here.


Now yes, although I am a beginner to licorice, I may not understand some of the subtleties.

Number 1 - Why SALTY licorice? No idea.

Number 2 - Why COCONUT licorice? No idea


Licorice in and of itself tasted quite benign with the coconut being the dominant flavor. In fact I strongly disliked the coconut and much preferred the little aniseed flavored gum drops covered in non pareils as well as the little licorice bits and of course, the adorable little Bertie, whom I ate before I could take a picture. Unfortunately these pieces were very few in my bag, which was instead taken over by the play-doh looking colored coconut.

Quite honestly, I thought they looked like fake candy used for decorations. Which, in my opinion, was probably all they were good for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, have you tried the licorice from M&S? It's very mild. I especially like the ones covered in little crunchy sugar pearls. It's licorice for wimps but still good. Can't stand the strong stuff (like the Chinese types) and salty licorice? forget about it!

Sui Mai said...

Hmmm, licorice for wimps? That sounds exactly more like my cup of tea. I'm still not sure I like licorice but I have a taste for them.