Wednesday, April 19, 2006

s'plaining


"Luuuuuuuuuuucy, you got some s'plaining to do!"

"Oh Ricky!"

That's the first thought that popped into my head. I am sorry for my leave of absence.

I've been....well, no need to lie. I've been busy eating. In fact, as I write this, the buttons on my top are threatening to fly across the room to hopefully be met by a kinder fate.

I will first start with a classic.

Yung Kee Roast Goose Restaurant.

Yep the famous roast goose itself.

I rarely go due to the high prices, outrageously bad service but I have to admit, they do roast a good goose.

So, with family from three parts of the world in tow, we traipsed over to Central to partake in goose which my aunt had not tasted in over a decade.

First up, we had a plate of what was a bit like headcheese in the States. Essentially bits of meat which don't really look appealing on its own but stuffed into a jellied casing in tubular form and sliced, it'll do. This particular one contained bits of tongue and other chewy bits. Salty but not too bad.



Then came the prawns. Now I like prawns but unfortunately, cannot eat them due to my stupid allergies. However, I am more than willing to give them up if my body lets me eat lobster, crab and other yummy shellfish.

This prawn was interesting as it was wrapped in "fou pei" (which I've talked about previously), a thin sheet of bean curd.




Even though I couldn't eat the prawns, the staff did add a little something for me. A wee friend to keep me company.



The our big main dish came, along with veg, rice and noodles. Yes animal/bird lovers, it is rather grotesque at how it is "splayed" in that manner. I do agree. And yes, I'm sure the staff do it solely to watch westerners recoil in horror at our consuming passion for eating anything and everything but for me, it was a great source of entertainment.


Yes, by the end, we were definitely full. We like our goose and ordered it whole, not leaving much room for anything else.

At the end it was toothpicks and burps all around to ensure not veg or bits of goose were stuck in our teeth.


Yung Kee
32-40 Wellington Street
Central, Hong Kong
Tel: 2522 1624

Best buy: roast duck and char sui (roast pork) lunchbox take out

No comments: