Sunday, April 27, 2008

So long and thanks for all the memories...

I have been dreading writing this post.... my last from beloved Paris.

As people who know me know, Paris has been the land of my dreams since I was a wee young lass. I have always wanted to spend a year here and now, I have.

And what a year!

A huge change from my life in Hong Kong, I have experienced everything ranging from acute loneliness, the joy of finding a like-minded, food-obsessed blogging friend, the unexpected kindness of strangers, countless visitors, and the absolute freedom of being a flâneur, roaming the streets of Paris for hours on end with a dinner reservation to look forward to.

What was originally a six month stint turned into a 15 month stay after a proposal and subsequent marriage... um yes, that would be my own.

Now unfortunately as we begin our move to London, find a flat, go on honeymoon and return to Hong Kong to pack up my belongings, I will be on a break from blogging. I will be back end of May but for now, I leave you with a list of things I'll miss most from Paris. This list is by NO means exhaustive but may give you a taste of a few of my favorites.
  • Cherry (thanks Susan!) and Salted Butter Caramel ice cream from Berthillon

  • Peering into lit apartments and seeing wonderful decor

  • Biche au Bois

  • Stumbling onto an unexpected and utterly peaceful courtyard in the middle of a busy street

  • Sandwiches and tarte fine aux pommes from our bakery

  • Free museum days on the first Sunday of every month

  • Bastille market (especially the salted butter caramels and the mediant mix)

  • Special evenings such as Nuit des Musées, Fête de la Musique and Nuit Blanche

  • Fresh fruit chocolates only available Saturdays from Jean Charles Rochoux

  • Pretty dresses from Les Petits...

  • Falafel from L'As de Falafel and the Foie de Vollaile in a pita from Chez H’anna (both on Rue de Rosiers)

  • Rosewood body wash and oil from Patyka

  • Meeting the boy for a sandwich lunch in Parc Monceau

  • Lemon olive oil from O & Co

  • Le Marais... we've been so lucky to live in the Marais

  • CHEESE!!

  • Being only a 10 minute away from the Seine and a view of the Eiffel Tower

I am sad to be leaving but I am so very grateful that I have had this chance to live here in this wonderful city. It has lived up to all my expectations and I have been very, very happy here.

As I walk around the city eating and drinking on my last day, sighing and making goo goo eyes at all the buildings, the boy turns around and says to me,

"We'll always have Paris."

and indeed we will. Indeed we will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jess, I teared up when I read this. I can just imagine how you feel, it's awful enough leaving after staying in Paris for one week - it must be even harder to leave after you've made it your home. But you can always go back - it's just an hour away from London!!
hugs,
susan