Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Haggis, Nips and Titties

Well, although I am doing this in a somewhat backward fashion, I am going to share with you my fooding experiences in the UK and Scotland. I will get pictures to share soon....I promise but as I have yet again just sold my digi cam, it'll have to wait (hey, a girl's got to pay taxes!).

Haggis, neeps and tatties. Neeps and Tatties...that just cracks me up every time! I ALWAYS think of nipples and titties and I have to giggle.

Moving on...After finding out there was such a food approximately 6-7 years ago, I was determined to taste and where better than its place of birth, good old Scotland? So, the whole ride to Scotland with the boy and his parents consisted of me repeating repeatedly "I'm going to have haggis!". Fun for all.

Well after finding our way to a lovely old fashioned Scottish pub (yes, I made the boy and his family walk on the cold icy streets until we found a place and suited what I read in my trashy Scottish romance novels), I ordered Haggis (I couldn't bring myself to say neeps and tatties to the waiter in case I got it wrong...which is very probable since the day before I pointed at the gameboy in my boyfriend's lap and said very loudly in front of his grandparents, "Oh, you brought your playboy along?").

And the verdict? It was good. Very yummy, all chewy oatmeal and blackish stuff and lots of black pepper. I thought it was very good although I can see why it wouldn't be to some people's taste. My only disappointment? It didn't come in a sheep's stomach that I can slit open and have the contents spill out. It is like mash so it was a mash of black, mash of white (the "tatties" i.e. potatoes) and a mash of orange (the "neeps" which are turnips). It looked (and I'm sorry for those of a delicate constitution) like very neatly defined vomit. So basically baby food for adults with no teeth.

I didn't take a picture as it didn't look tasty but I did take this one:



Can you believe it? Haggis to go. What really killed me was they had tiny, smaller than an egg, sized COCKTAIL Haggis! Can you imagine, swishing around the room in your little black cocktail dress with posh people with English accents and a waiter in tails approaches you...."Cocktail haggis, miss?"

How tempting....

Note: The boy took a quick look at the title of this and commented: "You spell Neeps with two E's."

No comments: