Thursday, July 27, 2006

Domestic goodness

Desperate housewives, domestic goddesses, all those modern SAHW (stay-at-home-wives).... none of which I am.

What I am, however, is hungry.

So to me that means the path of least resistance.

Too tired to make a trip to the shops, I thought maybe, just maybe I could do a simple aglio e olio (garlic and oil) with some of my chili olive oil. Maybe add some tuna cakes if I'm feeling up to it.

So I go home, look in the pantry, only a scant handful of dried linguini. Not enough for me and the boy.

Scrounging around some more I found giant elbows from a previous mac and cheese attempt.... this led to my 'classy' and quick bastardized tuna casserole.

It was too hot to put the oven on so I thought about making it from scratch but then my eyes lighted upon my beloved digital rice cooker.

In went the half bag of giant elbows, in went the almost over-due cottage cheese, a can of tuna, a few blocks of frozen spinach, half a glass of water and the rest of the cheese in my fridge, all crumbled, grated and jumbled together. Pressed the 'Quick Cook' button and 25 minutes later I was having a delicious, creamy yet light tasting pasta dish liberally sprinkled with red pepper flakes.

This revived me so much that I even used up the frozen ripe 'naners in my fridge to make Banana Oatmeal Bars for breakfast.

I can't believe it....what happened to days of drinking, dancing and partying the night away? Hang on....I think the closest I came to that was staring out of my dorm window and planning my next rib fest conquest......

No comments: